Housing and Working While Studying in Netherlands

Housing and working while studying for international students in the Netherlands require careful planning. Accommodation has to be arranged before students arrive in the country. Working while studying is a viable option for academically gifted students pursuing higher education in the Netherlands.

Housing for International Students in the Netherlands

In Netherlands, international students have their own rooms and usually do not reside on the campus. The country does not have the tradition of on campus accommodation and many students live in or close to the university town. Choose accommodation which is best fitted to the needs and ensure that you look out for rooms prior to your arrival in Holland. Always accept accommodation provided if you are a student of an exchange programme or a global course. 

You may be expected to share accommodation while studying in the Netherlands. Average rooms in Holland cost anywhere between €300 to 600 and you should check the kind of bills that are included in the rent. Certain accommodations include amenities such as TV and internet for which you have to pay extra. Rental contracts are generally for a duration of 6 months or a year. Also check if the room is furnished or unfurnished and the quality can vary depending upon the type of furniture provided. Check your rental contract before signing it.

Working while Studying for Students in the Netherlands

Those from EU/EEA (excluding Croatia) and Switzerland are free to work without restrictions or limitations. Students who are from Croatia or countries outside EU/EEA or Switzerland face restrictions if they want to work while studying. These students need permits and they can only put in 10 hours per week or work full time during the summer months of June, July and August. From 1st January, 2014 onwards, nationals of Bulgaria and Romania are allowed to work without restrictions. Work permit applications are needed by the employer in other cases. Students in Dutch host institutions need to complete internship of the party of the study programme sometimes. In such cases, a work permit is not needed. The host educational institution and the employer need to sign an internship agreement. 


Working while studying is under certain restrictions in some cases and none in others, depending upon the nationality of the international student. Health insurance is taken out in the event of any kind of employment, only from the Dutch public healthcare institution. In other cases, private insurance or EU Healthcare Insurance cards are issued based upon the nationality of the student.   
Connect me with the Top Colleges
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail ID :
You live in:
Mobile Number:
You want to study in:
Highest Level of Education:
Study Preference:
You want to Study:
Need an education loan?
loading Processing...
  • No Articles to display

Know More »

  • No Press Releases to display

Know More »

Netherlands Select a Country

Our Network :